Socialist Alternative members and Kshama Sawant campaign supporters participated in an emergency protest today against the City Council’s June 11th vote to eliminate the Nickelsville homeless encampment that houses many families.
In their letter to end Nickelsville, the city council members, including Sawants political opponent Richard Conlin, say they will allocate $500,000 from the citys general fund for housing and services for the current Nickelsville residents. It is dishonest and disingenuous on the part of Conlin and the majority of city council members to offer a small one-time payment that they know is not a solution. This is a feeble attempt to throw dust in our eyes and make an inhuman act palatable to those who care about the homeless, said Kshama Sawant, the Socialist Alternative candidate for Seattle City Council, position 2.
Encampments are not a permanent solution. However, outlawing the encampment while closing down already under-equipped shelters, and providing no humane alternatives for the homeless is unacceptable. Rather than bulldozing the homeless, the city council should be taxing millionaires and corporations to fund social programs, living-wage jobs, and affordable housing for all. This is why we need to fight for a grassroots voice in City Hall, Sawant added.
This week, all the proposals to sustain the Nickelsville encampment and create options for other encampment sites were rejected by a majority of the City Council, including Richard Conlin. Unless the City Council decision is overturned, on September 1st, Nickelsville will be evicted with nothing to replace it.
Nickelsville supporters want you to know these facts:
- OVER 2,000 PEOPLE IN SEATTLE CANT FIT INTO EXISTING SHELTERS.
- THE WAIT TO GET INTO PUBLIC HOUSING IS 3 TO 7 YEARS.
- SEATTLE CITY COUNCIL IS DESTROYING A COMMUNITY THAT HAS PROVIDED RELIABLE, SECURE SHELTER TO THOUSANDS OF HOMELESS SINCE 2008.
- IN EXCHANGE FOR THIS LOSS, THE MAYOR OFFERS TO KEEP CROWDED, SINGLE NIGHT, WINTER EMERGENCY SHELTERS OPEN THROUGH SUMMER AND TRY TO EXTRACT HELP FROM OVEREXTENDED PUBLIC HUMAN SERVICES.
Support the Kshama Sawant Campaign!
1) Donate on-line at www.VoteSawant.org/donate
Unlike our opponent and other incumbents on the Council, we are not financed by big business and the 1%. Our political work is carried out by dedicated volunteers and relies on the financial support of ordinary workers, young people, and activists. Contributions of any size are invaluable.
2) Like our Facebook page www.facebook.com/VoteSawant
3) Volunteer at www.VoteSawant.org/get-involved
4) Endorse our candidate at www.VoteSawant.org/endorsements
Paid for by Vote Sawant: P.O. Box 85862, Seattle, WA 98145.