On Saturday November 14th Socialist Alternative will be hosting a conference bringing together activists from throughout Washington State. Topics of discussion will include: Obama and the Democratic Party; Opposing the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; the 1919 Seattle General Strike; the Movement for LGBT Rights; Anarchism & Marxism; Global Warming; and featuring a debate with Seattle Times columnist Jon Talton Socialism vs. Capitalism: Has the Free-market System Failed?
Add this Facebook Event.
- 10:30 Coffee and Bagels
- 90th Anniversary of the 1919 Seattle General Strike: Lessons for the Labor movement Today
- Anarchism or Marxism: How Can Capitalism be Defeated?
- Copenhagen Summit: How Can We Stop Global Warming?
- Organizing Against the War in Your High School
- Opposing the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan: A Discussion Led by Iraq Veterans
- LGBT Rights: Next Steps for the Movement After Ref. 71
11:00 Opening Remarks
11:15 Obama and the Democrats in Power: How Can we Win the Change we Need
2:00 Workshops and Breakout Discussions
4:30 Debate: Capitalism vs. Socialism Has the Free-market System Failed?
6:40 Closing Remarks
Philip Locker is a member of the editorial board of Justice, the newspaper of Socialist Alternative. His views appear here. Jon Talton is a columnist with the Seattle Times. His column “On the Economy” can be read here.
They will debate the implications of the recession. Has the free-market system failed? And what is the alternative? Democratic socialism, or a reformed capitalism?
Saturday November 14th 2009
10:30am – 7:00pm
Seattle University Admin Building
The corner of 10th ave. and E. Madison St.
For any questions contact us at, (206)841-5566 or seattle@SocialistAlternative.org.
View Socialism 2009 in a larger map
$10 suggested donation
(no one will be turned away for inability to pay)